NAMI – VERMONT ANNOUNCES 2019 MENTAL HEALTH ADVOCACY DAY – January 30, 2019 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the State House, Montpelier
Mental Health Advocacy Day
Wednesday, January 30, 2019
8 am - 2 pm
Vermont State House, Cafeteria and Room 11
We need your support at Mental Health Advocacy Day. We will be advocating to improve mental health policies, and urging lawmakers about the importance to “Support Vermont Communities ~ Invest in Mental Health”. Please join us at the State House. The agenda includes activities that will be of interest for every mental health advocate and supporter including advocacy training, opportunities to interact with legislators, providing testimony and listening to personal stories of lived experience.
TAKE ACTION NOW:
- Call or email your legislator to schedule time to meet with them on the 30th!
- Meet one-on-one or in groups with other advocates to discuss topics.
- Click here to find your legislator. (http://legislature.vermont.gov/people/)
- Share this information with your network – we need a strong presence at the State House
MAKE MENTAL HEALTH A PRIORITY – LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!
Who Should Attend: Mental health advocates, peers, family members, professionals, providers, community members and mental health stakeholders.
7:30-10 A.M. ~ REGISTRATION (Room 11 – hearing room on first floor directly beneath the House Chamber):
- Upon arriving, visit us in Room 11 to register, pick up the agenda, talking points, map of State House rooms, and other relevant information.
- Join us at the Card Room in front of the Cafeteria
- Registration is available from 7:30-10 a.m.
- Pick up a sticker to wear and show your support of Mental Health Advocacy Day.
- Depending on how early you arrive, you may be able to meet with your legislator before committee meetings begin at or around (8:30 A.M.)
8:30-10:00 A.M. ~ COMMITTEE TESTIMONY:
Testimonials for committees are at the discretion of the committee chairs. Everyone is welcome to sit in on the committee sessions. Space is limited – so arrive early. The committee testimonies are scheduled within one week of the event. Some testimonials may be scheduled in the afternoon.
9:00-9:50 A.M. ~ ADVOCACY TRAINING: (Room 11)
Learn from Peter Mallary and Ed Paquin on how to share your story and advocate for an improved mental health system of care with legislators. This training will provide some skills to use for the event day, and beyond!
9:50 A.M. ~ WELCOME SESSION KICKOFF AND AWARDS (Room 11):
State leaders will share their insights on the “State of Mental Health in Vermont”. Everyone should attend this event. Team Two awards and legislative awards will be presented. Room 11 is the large meeting room off the main hallway on the first floor of the State House near the coat room.
11:00 A.M. ~ SHARING OUR STORIES (Room 11):
Sign up or contact us if you are interested in sharing your story of recovery, poetry, or other information (3-5 minutes).
NOON ~ CAFETERIA: Meet with your legislator for lunch in the cafeteria to advocate for increased funding to ensure mental health services are accessible in the community and for sensible mental health care policy.
1:00 P.M. ~ HOUSE CHAMBER RESOLUTION READING
- Capitol Plaza parking lot (metered).
- Off street parking (metered on most streets near the Statehouse, but some free street parking can be found further away)
- Department of Labor parking lot on Green Mountain Drive (free) – second left from interstate, past first traffic light.
- Capitol Shuttle runs every 20 minutes from 7:20 am – 5:20 pm
CAR POOLING: We encourage car pooling. Contact your co-sponsoring organization who may be able to coordinate rides from your area.
Hosted and organized by:
Vermont Association for Mental Health and Addiction Recovery
Vermont Care Partners
For more info: Contact Laurie Emerson at NAMI Vermont at email@example.com;
call 802-876-7949 x101
Support Vermont Communities ~ Invest in Mental Health
For more info: Call 800-639-6480 x101 or visit www.namivt.org